[c-nsp] Nexus 7k and OTV

Lincoln Dale ltd at cisco.com
Mon Jul 26 22:11:49 EDT 2010

On 26/07/2010, at 10:33 PM, Matthew Melbourne wrote:

> From talking to our Cisco SE, the initial release of OTV will likely
> on support a low-ish number of VLANs, with the likelihood that the
> number will increase over time as additional testing is performed.

like all new technologies introduced, we start with relatively conservative values and gradually increase the scale numbers.  OTV is no different.

our guidelines as far as scale in the initial release are as follows:
 - 3 Overlays each of 3 Sites, 2 Edge Devices per site (6 Total)
 - 128 OTV extended VLANs
 - 12000 MAC Addresses across all the extended VLANs
 - 100 Multicast Data Groups

there aren't "hard" limits, i.e. the system won't stop you going above them but my suggestion is that if you feel you need to go higher than these numbers then have your Cisco AM/SE talk to the relevant folks about your scale requirements.

> back-to-back vPC between pairs of Nexus make work between two DCs, but
> separate physical links for L3 interconnects may be an issue.

note that there doesn't need to be "separate L3 physical links" across the WAN / DCI, rather its that the traffic on the OTV "overlay" is L3.

> Given
> this may scale to more than two DCs, solutions such as VPLS/A-VPLS
> begin to look attractive.

if you say so!
while VPLS / A-VPLS certainly is used by many people for data center interconnect, its not without its challenges.

> BTW, is is permissible to use a vPC peer link between two Nexus for
> non-vPC traffic; thinking in the scenario where the access layer
> design comprises of squares rather than triangles.

yes, you can use the vPC peer-link for non-vPC traffic but certainly there are some network design considerations.
would it be the same VLANs?

i assume if you're creating a 'square' then the blocked link would be on the access layer since the STP root would be in the Agg layer?
not sure what benefit you'll get from a square in a vPC world....

cheers,

lincoln.