[c-nsp] IPv6: HSRP vs Anycast

Grzegorz Janoszka Grzegorz at Janoszka.pl
Tue Jul 27 12:50:07 EDT 2010

On 26-7-2010 23:52, Billy Guthrie wrote:
> I came across a site that discussed IPv6, HSRP, and Anycast.
> http://www.clarksys.com/blog/2009/03/12/howto-subnet-ipv6/

It seems to be an old one.

>> so when the time comes to implement IPv6 and HSRP (There is anycast).
> Is anyone using IPv6 Anycast in replace of HSRP?

We use just HSRP with a global unicast IPv6 address. It emerged recently
in SXI4 and was also a surprise for us. We already prepared a scenario
with a link-local HSRP gateway but (because of lack of elegance in it)
we were quite lazy with deploying it. Luckily SXI4 appeared earlier and
during routine 'release notes' review I discovered HSRP IPv6 global
unicast address. It works really well, just as it should do.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2sx/12_2sxi/12_2_33_sxi4_newfeatlist.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ipv6/configuration/guide/ip6-fhrp.html

--
Grzegorz Janoszka