[c-nsp] Define MPLS default EXP value?

Tony td_miles at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 30 16:08:16 EDT 2010

There have been a couple of good answers already, but if you really want to change what EXP value is assigned to packets that have no other TOS marking, then you could also look at changing the dscp-exp map.

>From what I have read (and I'm happy to be corrected on this) the PFC based QoS defines an "internal DSCP" value from the TOS/COS bits on a packet and then uses this to determine most QoS actions.

There is a map that determines which DSCP value is mapped to which EXP value. You can see it with the command "show mls qos maps dscp-exp". If you wanted your default traffic to be something other than EXP-0, you could change the map so that DSCP-0 maps to something else, like this:

mls qos map dscp-exp 0 to 5

Which would remap DSCP-0 to EXP-5 in this example so that any packets that were DSCP-0 would become EXP-5.

I do think the suggestion on just leaving everything as EXP0 (for "normal" traffic) is the best. This is what we do and specifically remark anything that is "less than best effort" to EXP-1. It will probably be much simpler in the long run.

regards,
Tony.