[c-nsp] 12.2-33.SXI3 SSH broken after changing IP

Matthew Huff mhuff at ox.com
Wed Jun 2 11:49:56 EDT 2010

I ran into this a while back. Basically there is a broken hidden key that has to be deleted correctly.

Basically, during the upgrade the key gets corrupted and becomes a phantom. You can't delete it with zeroize. The corruption is in the key label (which if you don't specify, is the fqdn) which gets corrupted with the last letter left off.

For example, our switch was named "switch-core1" with a domain of "ox.com". The fqdn was "switch-core1.ox.com". After the upgrade, the hidden corrupted key was labeled "switch-core1.ox.co".

The solution is to create a key with the bad label that will overwrite the phantom, then delete it:

switch-core1(config)#crypto key generate rsa general-keys label switch-core1.ox.co modulus 512
switch-core1(config)#crypto key zeroize rsa switch-core1.ox.co

and the phantom key will be gone.

----
Matthew Huff       | One Manhattanville Rd
OTA Management LLC | Purchase, NY 10577
http://www.ox.com  | Phone: 914-460-4039
aim: matthewbhuff  | Fax:   914-460-4139