[c-nsp] ISP - unwanted traffic

Saxon Jones saxon.jones at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 14:22:03 EDT 2010

I've not tried this, but at a conceptual level I think stateful
firewall rules would achieve what you're trying to do. I'm unconvinced
you'll enjoy the result, since you're going to have to rely on your
session tables and if that isn't perfect then you're going to have
unexpected behaviour (and also it won't be perfect for session-less
traffic like most UDP). I think that's a risk in what you're trying to
achieve, and not specific to how you achieve it; whether it's worth it
or not is up to you. I'd be rather unimpressed if I found out my ISP
was doing this to my traffic (not because I want asymmetric routing at
home but because of the risks it entails).

-saxon