[c-nsp] Is the policy map order signficant and can it be changed?

John Lange john at johnlange.ca
Fri Jun 11 10:47:17 EDT 2010

On the ingress interface I mark VOIP packets with "set dscp ef".

Then on the Egress I had a class/policy-map that looks looks for "dscp
ef", and there is another class which matches things based on IP addres
which also over-laps the VOIP devices.

My question is, when there are overlapping classes in policy-map, how
does IOS decide what class to match? I was told it was "most specific to
least specific", but that doesn't seem to be true.

Here is an example:

---
class-map match-all FIVE
 match access-group name FIVE

class-map match-all VOIP_Outbound
 match  dscp ef

policy-map WAN_Egress
 class ONE
    bandwidth 3000
 class TWO
    bandwidth 500
 class THREE
    bandwidth 1000
 class FOUR
    priority 100
 class FIVE
    shape average 7500000
 class VOIP_Outbound
    priority 750

ip access-list extended FIVE
! (basically this matches all IPs which includes the VOIP IPs so for the
! sake of argument you can say its an any any)
permit ip any any

--

The "class VOIP_Outbound" matched nothing until I recreated the policy
map and put "class VOIP_Outbound" first.

Is there a document somewhere that describes how IOS matches?

And assuming the order is significant, is there a command that allows me
to change the order without having destroy and recreate the policy-map?

Regards,
--
John Lange
http://www.johnlange.ca