[c-nsp] IPv6 RTBH next-hop

Dobbins, Roland rdobbins at arbor.net
Sat Jun 12 22:09:56 EDT 2010

On Jun 13, 2010, at 3:49 AM, Billy Guthrie wrote:

> RFC3849  specifically states it is reserved for Documentation (Not that
> one can't use it);

TEST-NET from RFC3330 is reserved for documentation; that's precisely why it's normally used for S/RTBH, because practically *nobody* uses it for addressing even within private networks.

> however, in my opinion it makes more sense to use a prefix from from fc00::/7 (RFC4193)

Which is more or less a rough analogue to RFC1918, which ensures that folks will in fact be using it for addressing within private networks by its very nature.  And therefore isn't really suitable for such an esoteric, 'behind-the-curtains' type of application, IMHO.

    Injustice is relatively easy to bear; what stings is justice.

                        -- H.L. Mencken