[c-nsp] Recieving Dying Gasp notifications

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Jun 15 12:39:33 EDT 2010

On 15/06/10 17:27, Kaegler, Mike wrote:
> I have a few remote sites which can be prone to power failures. For
> various reasons, implementing UPSs with management cards is not suitable
> and/or desirable.
>
> The remote equipment all supports Dying Gasp, however, but I cannot seem
> to find a way to make my 7200s, 3800s, or 2600s to receive the DG
> notifications. Google seems to indicate that only the CRS-1 will do it.
>
> This seems a pretty simple&  low-cost feature... is there truly no Cisco
> support for receiving DG on sub-million-dollar routers?

It's been a while, but I've definitely seen dying gasp from one of a
pair of 1841 routers; IIRC it came in via a syslog message. I don't
recall us having to do anything special.

In fact, a brief check of my email archive says:

site-c1841-1 198: *May  1 12:13:21.738 UTC: %XDSLWIC-3-DYING_GASP: DSL
0/0/0: The remote CPE is about to lose power

...unless it's line-type specific?