[c-nsp] 6506-E module provisioning

Cory Ayers cayers at ena.com
Thu Jun 17 07:48:35 EDT 2010

Hello,

> I've been searching the cisco website for this but didn't find an
> answer. We have a new 6506-E to replace an old one, and I'll have to
> move some modules between them as we don't have spare ones. Is there a
> way to 'provision' these modules in the config of the new router so I
> can just copy the old config to the new one and won't have to add the
> config for these modules after the cards have been switched ? The
> modules will move to the same slot in the new router.

If the 6506-E is not yet live, you could copy startup-config to flash:/ or ftp:// and then copy it back to startup-config on the new 6506 Supervisor.  At that point I would reboot the device to verify that it tries to load the configuration and that boot variables haven't been upset.  Once that looks good, power the chassis back down, move the cards over, boot it back up and compare configs to make sure everything took.  Rancid is excellent for this, but you could also use UN*X diff.  Newer IOS allows you to compare from the console with:
show archive config differences nvram:startup-config system:running-config

If the 6506-E is already live and in production you could still copy the startup-config off to an FTP server, edit the file to only include the relevant interfaces, and then copy it back to _running-config_, but you will have to "no shutdown" the interfaces.

HTH

Cory