[c-nsp] VTY PROBLEM

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Tue Jun 22 14:50:41 EDT 2010

On Tue, 22 Jun 2010, bha Qaqish wrote:

> I have a 7206 VXR WITH npeg2, there is a problem, there is a telnet vty
> sessions that stuck , I can not clear it , its stuck for 70 weeks , I
> can not restart the router cause we are an ISP, so how could I clear the
> sessions , I have a --- exec-timeout 60 0 --- on the vty.

If a "clear line vty X", where X is the stuck VTY, does not work, your
best and cleanest option will be to reload the router.  Can you still log
into the router, but one VTY is stuck, or can you no longer log in, except
on the console?

Sometimes things like this happen because of code bugs, resource
exhaustion, etc, so taking a 5-10 minute outage to reboot the router
might not be a bad idea, and a much better idea than letting the router
crash on its own.  That might also be a good opportunity to determine if
your router should be running a more recent IOS image to address code
bugs, security vulnerabilities, etc.

Getting slightly off topic, most ISPs have provisions in their service
agreements to do normal maintenance as needed, or at least during
scheduled maintenance windows.

jms