[c-nsp] RSP720-3C-10GE with daughter card = RSP720-3CXL-10GE?

Frédéric LOUI frederic.loui at renater.fr
Thu Jun 24 12:21:21 EDT 2010

Le 24 juin 2010 à 16:19, Phil Mayers a écrit :

> On 24/06/10 14:53, Frédéric LOUI wrote:
>> In our lab setup, we have 2 full internet feeds (IPv4 / IPv6) thus ~
>> 670000 + v6 prefixes Netflow v9 is working without any issue so far
>> (without sampling). However we did not test netflow v9 with MPLS
>> features.
>
> Sampling on the PFC/DFC platforms probably doesn't do what you want it
> to do. It still captures all flows; just only exports a subset. This
> saves neither TCAM nor significant CPU at the export side.
>
>> According to my technical representative, on 8x10GE card with 3CXL,
>> NDE is handled by the linecard itself (i.e de-centralized NDE instead
>> of centralized NDE from the main RSP board) Not sure about " 4x10GE
>> card upgraded with 3CXL" though
>
> Under most conditions, DFC-equipped linecards export the netflow themselves.
>
> There are some conditions where the netflow PDUs have to be post-processed by the RP. Amongst others, if you want source/dest AS numbers in the flows, these are added in software by the RP, eliminating the benefits of distributed NDE.

Thanks very much for the precisions.

>> I'd be happy to have some REAL figures regarding MPLS aware netflow
>> with 760x/3CXL :-)
>
> Figures about what?
Sorry, what I meant by *figures*:
 - How much (additional?) netflow traffic (bandwidth) can be transferred by NDE
 - How many (additional?) flows the BOX can handle ?
 - What is the impact in term of resource and linecard CPU when activating MPLS aware netflow ?

Has someone experienced  performance degradation on a 3CXL 760X when activating MPLS aware netflow ?

Thnks in advance for your feedback :-)

--
Frederic