[c-nsp] FWSM and IPv6

Łukasz Bromirski lukasz at bromirski.net
Thu Jun 24 13:45:48 EDT 2010

On 2010-06-24 19:44, Justin M. Streiner wrote:

> I haven't done any real-world tests because the vast majority of our FWSMs
> are running in transparent mode, but an SE I spoke with seemed to feel
> pretty strongly that the performance would be unacceptably low.

IPv6 is done on FWSM only on the Control-Plane Pentium III that is
running with a clock of 1GHz, so yes, the real world performance
will be unacceptably low for any aggregation/core/data center scheme
and will contribute to the load of control plane for the FWSM itself.

Use either ASA5580 or wait for next generation FWSM (any plans around
that require contacting with local AM/SE pair from nearest Cisco office)

--
"Everything will be okay in the end.  |                 Łukasz Bromirski
  If it's not okay, it's not the end." |      http://lukasz.bromirski.net