[c-nsp] MST & Reserved VLANs on Nexus 5010

Gary T. Giesen giesen at snickers.org
Fri Jun 25 14:35:28 EDT 2010

I've run into a bit of a problem with a couple of new Nexus 5010
switches we've recently acquired. I've tried to apply our standard MST
configuration, and have run into the problem that the Nexus has 81
VLANs that are reserved for system use (3968 to 4047 & 4094), which
are not reserved on any of our other Cisco switches. I can work around
the fact I can't use these VLANs on the Nexus switches, but without
the configurations being identical, I believe the Nexus switches will
form a separate MST region and obviously not achieve the forwarding
path I want (and make load-balancing links impossible). Has anyone
ever encountered this? Any suggestions?

system image file is:    bootflash:/n5000-uk9.4.1.3.N2.1.bin

Cheers,

GG