[c-nsp] MST & Reserved VLANs on Nexus 5010

Joerg Mayer jmayer at loplof.de
Sun Jun 27 06:56:29 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 02:35:28PM -0400, Gary T. Giesen wrote:
> I've run into a bit of a problem with a couple of new Nexus 5010
> switches we've recently acquired. I've tried to apply our standard MST
> configuration, and have run into the problem that the Nexus has 81
> VLANs that are reserved for system use (3968 to 4047 & 4094), which
> are not reserved on any of our other Cisco switches. I can work around
> the fact I can't use these VLANs on the Nexus switches, but without
> the configurations being identical, I believe the Nexus switches will
> form a separate MST region and obviously not achieve the forwarding
> path I want (and make load-balancing links impossible). Has anyone
> ever encountered this? Any suggestions?
>
> system image file is:    bootflash:/n5000-uk9.4.1.3.N2.1.bin

Your analysis is correct. Either you have to use different regions
or you will need to change the "problematic" VLANs on all other devices
as well.
AFAIK there is no way to disable the special use of the VLANs that
you are entiteled to use by the 802.1Q-2004 (formerly 802.1s) standard.

 Ciao
      Joerg

--
Joerg Mayer                                           <jmayer at loplof.de>