[c-nsp] MST & Reserved VLANs on Nexus 5010

Ross Vandegrift ross at kallisti.us
Sun Jun 27 10:20:46 EDT 2010

On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 12:56:29PM +0200, Joerg Mayer wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 02:35:28PM -0400, Gary T. Giesen wrote:
> > I've run into a bit of a problem with a couple of new Nexus 5010
> > switches we've recently acquired. I've tried to apply our standard MST
> > configuration, and have run into the problem that the Nexus has 81
> > VLANs that are reserved for system use (3968 to 4047 & 4094), which
> > are not reserved on any of our other Cisco switches. I can work around
> > the fact I can't use these VLANs on the Nexus switches, but without
> > the configurations being identical, I believe the Nexus switches will
> > form a separate MST region and obviously not achieve the forwarding
> > path I want (and make load-balancing links impossible). Has anyone
> > ever encountered this? Any suggestions?
> >
> > system image file is:    bootflash:/n5000-uk9.4.1.3.N2.1.bin
>
> Your analysis is correct. Either you have to use different regions
> or you will need to change the "problematic" VLANs on all other devices
> as well.
> AFAIK there is no way to disable the special use of the VLANs that
> you are entiteled to use by the 802.1Q-2004 (formerly 802.1s) standard.

Wait - there's no reason you have to change your mapping to avoid
those VLANs.  Just map them to an instance and get on with life.
Then, don't use them.

If NX-OS prevents that, it's a bug.

Ross

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross at kallisti.us

"If the fight gets hot, the songs get hotter.  If the going gets tough,
the songs get tougher."
	--Woody Guthrie