[c-nsp] Centos upload speed slower on 1000m than 100m over WAN links

Arie Vayner (avayner) avayner at cisco.com
Sun Jun 27 04:40:39 EDT 2010

Paul,

Let's see if I get it strait.

If you run the server at 1G, and test locally on the same switch, you
get 100MB/s?
If you run the server at 1G, and test from the WAN (beyond the Level 3
connection) you get 1.3MB/s?
If you run the server at 100M, and test from the WAN (beyond the Level 3
connection) you get 11.5MB/s?

If you run the same test from the local 6500 (not the same switch where
the server is on, but the one used to connect to Level3) with 1G/100M?

If the port on the upstream to Level 3 is limited to a higher rate
(let's say 300M), you would be able to pass on average the full 100Mbps
rate (hence 11.5MB/s) but if you run the server at 1G, it would result
in the server being able to overload the link with bursts at 1G rate,
while the link is only (let's say) 300Mbps. This would cause Level3 to
drop packets, which would dramatically affect the TCP window state of
the download session.
This situation can be fixed by removing the rate limit or by using
egress shaping (which is not supported natively on the 6500 so it's not
easy to test).

Can you please answer the above points so we can see if we are on the
same page?
Tnx
Arie