[c-nsp] IP issues with 3560

Marcus.Gerdon Marcus.Gerdon at versatel.de
Tue Jun 29 02:46:27 EDT 2010

Hi Sophan,

something seems to be wrong or missing here.

1st option:

If your mask 255.255.0.0 given is correct there'd have to be a plain L2-segment without any L3 device in the middle, as 10.125.25.5 and 10.125.19.x reside in the same subnet. Of course 10.125.19.x also has to be 255.255.0.0 then. So there'd be no need to do any routing on the 3560's and supposedly you have a addressing/subnetting/design problem.

2nd option:

The mask it is/should be with the network design is in fact 255.255.255.0 because of L3 devices in between are intended. Then possibly the mask on host 10.125.25.5 is wrong so it doesn't try to route across the gateway. What's exactly neede for routing to work I can't say as you provided not enough details about your setup. In case 10.125.25/24 and 10.125.19/24 both have an L3 interface on the 3560 (ip routing enabled of course) no routing entries are needed on the 3560 as both subnets are connected. With this setup if you can't reach the hosts across the 3560 your host configuration has a problem.

Nothing hints that any magic is needed on the 3560, I tend to suggest you should draw out your network in regards to L2 and L3 domains. Supposedly as said above you'll find the problem somewhere with the addressing.

regards,

Marcus