[c-nsp] 3rd party optics fail on 3560?

Brian Spade bitkraft at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 21:01:19 EDT 2010

Hi,

I've been testing 3rd party optics on the various Cisco platforms we use.
 Most all platforms tested support 3rd party and can share results later if
people are interested.  However, the 3560 and 2960's fail.  I have entered
the following commands:

service unsupported-transceiver
no errdisable detect cause sfp-config-mismatch

When I enter the optics, I get the following log message:

*Dec 26 22:43:11.085: %GBIC_SECURITY_CRYPT-4-VN_DATA_CRC_ERROR: GBIC in port
Gi0/49 has bad crc

Also, 'show int' says unknown optic:

br1#sh int gi0/49 | i media
 Auto-duplex, Auto-speed, link type is auto, media type is unknown

br1#sh int status | i Gi0/49
Gi0/49                       notconnect   1            auto   auto unknown

I get no link with these optics.  I am testing copper, MMF and SMF.  All of
them behave like the above, but the 3560/2960 can read the idprom on the
MMF/SMF but not the copper (show idprom interface gig0/49).

Am I missing something?  Why would these optics work on 6509, 4924, etc. but
not the 3560/2960?  Thanks for any insight....

/bs