[c-nsp] 6500/Sup720 losing "startup-config"

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Tue Jun 29 11:53:48 EDT 2010

I have an old (~7 years) Sup720 PFC3BXL that has been running fine for
all it's life and is now to act as a secondary node in a new place.

I've loaded it with the new config and new IOS and (soft) reloaded a
couple of times; no problems there. But when I "hard" reload it (i.e.
take away power) the startup-config and ROMMON parameters disappear.
It's completely reproducible, every time I take away power it has no
startup-config and the ROMMON settings are the default settings.

When booting up it writes the following message on the console:

- RELIABILITY DRIVER: wrong signature on NVFLASH

It smells like a battery of some kind run dry, combined with the NVRAM
not being flash based. Anybody have a clue about what I could do? Other
than have it replaced? :-)

I was thinking about a ROMMON upgrade (it's using 12.2(14r)S1 now, newer
boxes we have run 12.2(17r)SX5) but have only found documentation that
suggests that you can't ROMMON upgrade a Sup720. I'm not sure why it
would help though.

--
Peter