[c-nsp] smaller PI

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Wed Jun 30 09:14:05 EDT 2010

On Wed, 30 Jun 2010, Ziv Leyes wrote:

> That's weird,  "PI" stands for "provider independent". How can one be independent with a non-routable IP range???
> Where did the "try to aggregate as much as possible" concept go to?

The RIRs guarantee uniqueness, not routability.  If the space just needs
to be unique, it's not an issue.  If it needs to be unique and routed on
the public internet, it seems a little silly for an RIR to allocate IPs
they know will not be generally accepted by the internet.  AFAIK,
filtering longer than /24 is pretty common practice.