[c-nsp] 802.3ad questions..

TCIS List Acct listacct at tulsaconnect.com
Mon Mar 1 12:36:03 EST 2010

Hi all,

We have (2) Metro Ethernet connections from two different carriers connecting
our two locations at the moment.  We need to provide for redundancy at the L2
level for these, and would like to combine the bandwidth into one logical
bundle.  I'm fairly well versed at the L3 level, but have little experience of
L2 features (aside from VLANs), so I was looking for a bit of guidance.

We will be using Cisco switches on both sides of the link(s), and it seems
802.3ad is the way to go -- but I'm not sure if LACP or EtherChannel is
appropriate here, or if there is something else I should be considering.  Also,
to throw another issue into the mix -- these two links are not currently equally
sized -- one is shaped to 600M, the other is a full Gig, so a way to specify
link speed and have it load balanced appropriately would be great as well.

TIA.

--Mike