[c-nsp] Spanning-Tree vs. EoMPLS links in SXI2?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Thu Mar 11 08:00:43 EST 2010

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 10:51:15AM +0000, Mateusz Blaszczyk wrote:
> you could probably do something like this
>
> R1 ==(trunk)== Q1 -- R2 --(MPLS cloud)-- R3 -- Q2 ==(trunk)== R4

This might work as a workaround, or might not, depending on whether
R2/R3 would be willing to forward QinQ-encapsulated STP or not...

OTOH, we can life with "no working STP on R2->EoMPLS" for now, and
making the whole topology even more complex is not going to help my
colleagues understand and maintain and troubleshoot the setup (something
to keep in mind).

> A solution would be to extended mpls towards R1 and R4 but that
> probably is not possible.

This is not possible here, because R1 and R4 might have SVIs in the
corresponding VLANs, and 6500 with LAN cards cannot do SVI+EoMPLS bridge
in the same box.

(Well, actually you can, by plugging a loop between two ports, one port
being a switchport/trunk and the other port being the EoMPLS link.  But that
won't gain me much compared to what I have now - if the IOS combination
is broken with STP+EoMPLS, it will also be broken if that IOS is running
on R1...)

If I urgently needed the functionality today, I'd downgrade R2 from SXI2
to SXH3a - but I want $them to fix it, makes much more sense for everybody.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de