[c-nsp] Dynamic TCAM allocation/optimization? (was Re: N7K tcam handling)

Chris Woodfield rekoil at semihuman.com
Thu Mar 11 14:23:12 EST 2010

Can you elaborate (or point me to docs) on how this dynamic allocation works? Is the TCAM populated on demand based on traffic? I imagine the old horror of the Sup1A's flow-based forwarding every time I hear this...

And while we're on the subject, are there any reasons why Cisco (or any other vendor AFAIK) has seriously looked into methods of "optimizing" the TCAM? I'm thinking in terms of "If 10.0.0.0/16 and 10.0.1.0/24 both have the same next hop, why do you need two TCAM slots?"

Oh wait, that might mean your customers might not need to upgrade as often. Never mind.

-C