[c-nsp] Cisco 6509 SUP2-2GE /w PFC2 - which code?

neal rauhauser nrauhauser at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 13:08:10 EDT 2010

  I have just received a couple of Catalyst 6509s that are destined for a
small exchange point. They've got SUP2-2GE /w PFC2, eight port 6408 GBIC
blades, and flexwan blades that will be taking POS & ATM WAN interfaces.
They'll be running BGP+OSPF and not much else.

   I see one has 8.6.4 CatOS and the other IOS 12.1.27b.E4. Which is going
to be best/most stable?

   I've never had 6500s under my care but I do recall that there was an
issue with netflow accounting not working - something to the effect that the
intelligent linecards had their own forwarding information and all that
netflow reported was the setup and teardown for TCP connections. Is this
still the case, or is there a mix of software and practices that makes
netflow functional? If not, how are people handling bandwidth monitoring for
these systems?

  Thanks in advance for your wise answers ...

--
mailto:Neal at layer3arts.com //
GoogleTalk: nrauhauser at gmail.com
GV: 202-642-1717