[c-nsp] Cisco 6509 SUP2-2GE /w PFC2 - which code?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Mar 16 14:55:53 EDT 2010

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 12:08:10PM -0500, neal rauhauser wrote:
>    I see one has 8.6.4 CatOS and the other IOS 12.1.27b.E4. Which is going
> to be best/most stable?

This is really somewhat religious.  I like CatOS for "pure layer 2"
switches, and IOS for "layer 3" devices.

If you go with IOS, upgrade to 12.2(18)SXF<latest> - this is the latest
that is there for Sup2, and it's good and stable.

Regarding netflow accounting - this is something you'd normally not do
for an *exchange point*.  You're doing layer2 services, don't you?

Anyway: Netflow on Sup2 works OK (as far as I know, at least "works for
me") but it won't show you layer2-switched flows.  "Bridged Netflow"
is something more recent, and I'm not sure whether it works - DECIX
tried it, and it didn't.

You can monitor the per-port traffic by checking the SNMP counters,
but that won't give you the per-customer traffic matrix - and that is
something that the 6509 won't give you.

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de