[c-nsp] top of rack switch recommendations

alex at overdrawn.net alex at overdrawn.net
Tue Mar 16 16:37:10 EDT 2010

Hi,

I'm looking for some switch recommendations. We currently have 2950/2960's 10/100 with gig uplinks and are looking at upgrading. New features we'd like to get are:

 * 40+ gigabit ports
 * hardware acl support for ipv4 and ipv6 on ingress and egress traffic per port (just src/dst:[port])
 * "ip source guard" type support to restrict allowed mac / ip on each port for ipv4 and ipv6
 * qos on ingress/egress traffic per port for ipv4 and ipv6 (primarily just to throttle down from gigabit rates as needed)
 * jumbo frame support

Some nice to have:

 * 10 gig uplink support
 * redundant power
 * reversible air flow (hot air coming out of network port side)

but price is a big factor here. i.e. the 4900 would be great, but at almost $20k per switch, is really out of the question. 4948 doesn't seem to do ipv6 in hardware which knocks it out. I'm not clear on the differences between 3560 and 3560-E. It's really hard to tell the level of ipv6 support some of the switches have, and last thing we want to do is upgrade the access layer and get stuck with switching ipv6 in software. The 2350 looks intriguing, but seems to be POE only, not something we need/want. We also don't need any routing features. Open to non cisco options as well.

Thanks for any advice!

Alex