[c-nsp] Connecting remote pops with EoMPLS?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Mar 17 12:17:08 EDT 2010

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 07:05:33PM +1100, Andy Saykao wrote:
> Not sure if I'm on the right track but I want to put pc-2 on the same
> ethernet segment (ip subnet) as pc-1. How do I accomplish this? Should I
> be looking at EoMPLs?
[..]
> - There is a /30 linking 7606-1 and 7606-2 core routers with each other.
> - MPLS is already running between the 7606's.
> - pc-1 is in vlan 12 with ip 172.16.70.x/24
> - switch-1 and switch-2 are both WS-C3560G

In that case, EoMPLS will be the easy way, yes.

> - switch-1 and switch-2 are in different mst regions.

I'm not sure about that part (lack of experience with MST).

EoMPLS will look, from the switches' point of view, as "one long ethernet
cable".  So all STP, MST, ... things can be considered separately from
EoMPLS questions - if you would be happy with plugging switch-1 into
switch-2 with a direct cable, EoMPLS will work for you.

(Unless you run into bugs)

> Is it a matter of creating a SVI with the xconnect config on the 7606's

No SVI.  xconnect needs to go on the physical port (unless you have
ES 20 or SIP cards).

> - but how do I then get the switches to particpate in EoMPLS so that the
> devices connected to the switch ports on switch-1 and switch-2 appear as
> if they are in the same ethernet segment???

You don't :-) - EoMPLS is completely invisible for the switches.  It's
just a long ethernet cable.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de