[c-nsp] Customers requesting Layer 2 across our network

Rick Kunkel kunkel at w-link.net
Wed Mar 17 20:04:51 EDT 2010

Hello all.  I'm with a company offering colocation services in the
seattle area.  Typically, we provide our bandwidth to customers, but
I've had a rash of customers lately asking for connections directly to
certain providers in the Westin.  We are connected to the Westin via our
IP network, but I'm stuck trying to come up with the best way to get layer
2 from another carrier to our customer.

Here's a simplified diagram showing the links, etc. between customer and
the outside the way we currently have it.  Apologies to those with
variable-width fonts... ;)

     Customer

    Our Switch (port is assigned VLAN)

         | (802.1q trunk)

         + <--- customer gateway IP address
    Our Router
         + <--- x.x.x.1/30 address

         | (WAN Fiber Link)

         + <--- x.x.x.2/30 address
    Our Router

     Carrier

In this current situation, what's the best (if any) method for a customer
to get a connection "directly" from the carrier, where the customer gets
an IP address from them in the classic /30 kind of way?  I can change our
network, but probably not in vast overarching ways.

I've got some ideas but I'm purposefully leaving the question a little
open-ended.  I know my description is a little sparse, but I'm trying to
not give you too many details to complicate the fundamental question.

Thanks in advance!

--Rick