[c-nsp] NPE-G1 vs NPE-G2; is it a scam?

Chris Flav chris.flav at yahoo.ca
Fri Mar 19 11:39:06 EDT 2010

We have had two "upgrades" on a 7204VXR platform where we went from a G1 to a G2 controller.

Case A is a pretty straightforward BGP with 2 full feeds, 400Mbps aggregate traffic @72,000pps.
Case A upgraded to 12.4XD train from 12.3 mainline

Case B is a L2TP LNS, aggregating around 3000 PPPoE sessions.  Traffic is 350Mbps aggregated, @44,000
pps
Case B upgradde to 12.4T train from 12.3 mainline

In both cases, CPU usage actually increased about 5%.  Contrary to our expectations, we have no visible improvement in terms of perceived capacity using the G2 controller in either case.  Graphing CPU, traffic, memory and PPS rates over a 24 hour period you could not determine which graph is G2 or G1 as they are pretty identical.

Any tips as to what we can look at would be appreciated.  Any experiences performing this so-called upgrade?

C.