[c-nsp] Insufficient memory to boot image on 827?

Steve Edmonson steve.j.edmonson at gmail.com
Sat Mar 20 18:31:14 EDT 2010

Hello there

I am trying to upgrade IOS on an 827 I have to 12.4(5c). The 827 has
24MB of DRAM, and this is the highest version that cisco.com says will
run inside 24MB. After I load the image on to the 827 and reload, I
get

SYSTEM INIT: INSUFFICIENT MEMORY TO BOOT THE IMAGE!

and the router reloads, tries to boot, runs out of RAM, reloads, etc, etc, etc.

When booting from an image that does work, show ver confirms that
there is 24MB of DRAM in the router

CISCO C827 (MPC855T) processor (revision 0x701) with 23552K/1024K
bytes of memory.

Is there any way to get this image to boot, or do I have no choice but
to upgrade the DRAM?

TIA
Steve