[c-nsp] BLSR protection on long-haul OC-192 links

Bit Bucket sdgoodlife at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 14:54:12 EDT 2010

I'm putting together a regional four-node SONET network that will have two
long-haul OC-192 fiber links. To provide path diversity, one leg will be
about 450 miles longer than the other. Termination gear will be Cisco
ONS-15454s and we will be running GigE circuits (protected) across the
links. My concern is that with one leg being more than twice the length of
the other, will BLSR still maintain a "hitless" transition in the event that
one of the OC-192s fails?

I asked Cisco this question and we went through several techs before it was
escalated to their developers, who labbed it out and said it would work.
This is a little disconcerting, since I seriously doubt I am the first to
ask this question. Is there anyone out there who has done this and could
could share their experience with this type of design?

Thanks -