[c-nsp] Sup720 CoPP, limits on CPU performance

Charles Spurgeon c.spurgeon at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Mar 25 15:13:52 EDT 2010

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 07:04:43PM +0100, Peter Rathlev wrote:

> As another viewpoint I'd like to know how I can assess what amount of
> traffic I can safely send to the Sup720 CPU. Would anyone have any
> numbers for that, i.e. how much broadcast I can "safely" allow in a CoPP
> policy if I were to not look at that baseline at all?

The Nexus 7000 CoPP configs might be useful.

While checking the docs on the Nexus 7000 I found that N7K has CoPP
enabled by default, and their CoPP config is documented:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/4_2/nx-os/security/configuration/guide/Cisco_Nexus_7000_NX-OS_Security_Configuration_Guide__Release_4.2_chapter22.html#con_1060807

They have defined three policies for CoPP rate limiting: strict,
moderate, and lenient, and they enable the strict policy by default.

-Charles

Charles E. Spurgeon / UTnet
UT Austin ITS / Networking
c.spurgeon at its.utexas.edu / 512.475.9265