[c-nsp] ASR 1002-F BGP table size

Arie Vayner (avayner) avayner at cisco.com
Tue Mar 23 09:29:35 EDT 2010

Rick,

As the ASR1K is a hardware based platform the route scale limitation
does not only come from the amount of RAM it has, but also from the
capacity of the ESP (forwarding plane).

If you are looking at sparing/redundancy, take a 2nd look at the
ASR1006... Or maybe just the ASR1004. The advantage of the modular
models is that as you need more forwarding plane capacity, you can
upgrade the RP/ESP modules, and gain dramatic performance boost.

You can find the details here:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps9343/data_sheet_c78
-450070.html

(For the 1002F, we use ESP2.5, which has, in general, 50% of the
capacity of a ESP5, hence the 500K IPv4 routes)

Arie