[c-nsp] Older gear and IPv6

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Mar 24 11:31:50 EDT 2010

hi,

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 11:25:32AM -0400, Charles Mills wrote:
> Hi all just to clarify ... yes I am thinking about cisco gear mostly.
> With IPv6 exhaustion "around the corner" we certainly seem to be
> devoid of options for gear that can route IPv6 reliably and robustly.

There must be a misunderstanding here.  Cisco and Juniper gear available
today both do IPv6 quite well.  In hardware, if there is packet forwarding
hardware at all :-)

> Reminds me of when switches were all the rage vs. shared hubs in the
> CSMA/CD world...leaking spanning tree packets...buggy VLAN
> implementations.  Should be an interesting few years as all this gets
> worked out.

Of course there are bugs...  - but the last bugs that have hit us have
been MPLS and IPv4 thingies, very few IPv6 issues recently.

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de