[c-nsp] Older gear and IPv6

Charles Mills w3yni1 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 11:35:03 EDT 2010

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 11:31 AM, Gert Doering <gert at greenie.muc.de> wrote:
> hi,
>
> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 11:25:32AM -0400, Charles Mills wrote:
>> Hi all just to clarify ... yes I am thinking about cisco gear mostly.
>> With IPv6 exhaustion "around the corner" we certainly seem to be
>> devoid of options for gear that can route IPv6 reliably and robustly.
>
> There must be a misunderstanding here.  Cisco and Juniper gear available
> today both do IPv6 quite well.  In hardware, if there is packet forwarding
> hardware at all :-)

Gert...Thanks again.
I thought Juniper did.  My experience is a bit dated with their gear.
I was just told by a Cisco SE that "Cisco does all IPv6 in software in
all gear with NO hardware switching".  I was skeptical of that remark
which is why I started the thread here to see what others had to say.

Chuck