[c-nsp] Unified IOS (15.x) and feature based licensing model

Seth Mattinen sethm at rollernet.us
Wed Mar 24 18:51:53 EDT 2010

On 3/24/2010 13:14, Asbjorn Hojmark - Lists wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 11:40:49 -0700, you wrote:
>
>>> You may want to look at Cisco License Manager (www.cisco.com/go/clm)
>
>> Suppose you're at a site and need to replace a defective router - and
>> you have no internet access until it is replaced...
>
> There are other means of enabling the licenses than using CLM. You can
> also do that from the CLI, for example.
>
> Also, if everything fails (e.g. you don't have access to the licens
> files), you can activate a 30-day evaluation license, get things up
> and running, and clean up afterwards.

You still need internet access, unless TAC will do it for you over the
phone. It's quite possible one can't get online without a critical
feature that's locked away behind licensing. Anytime a company has to
try to convince me of the great benefits some new licensing scheme will
bring I'm going to be skeptical.

~Seth