[c-nsp] Older gear and IPv6

Jens Link lists at quux.de
Thu Mar 25 05:43:46 EDT 2010

Gert Doering <gert at greenie.muc.de> writes:

> Of course there are bugs...  - but the last bugs that have hit us have
> been MPLS and IPv4 thingies, very few IPv6 issues recently.

A couple of days after cisco-sa-20090819-fwsm was released I gave my
usual IPv6 presentation and someone from the audience asked: "When will
IPv6 be as secure as IPv4."

Given that the advisory states that "IPv6 (in particular ICMPv6) cannot
trigger this vulnerability" I had no problem answering the question:

Yes there will be bugs in IPv6 implementation but there are still bugs
in IPv4 implementations as well.

cheers

Jens