[c-nsp] Using L3 switches as CPE

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Thu Mar 25 09:58:58 EDT 2010

Hi all,

I'm going to be deploying some old 3550's as CPE on a
Fibre-over-Ethernet network. I've never used a layer-3 switch for this
job before, I've always used a router with a separate switch. I'm
looking for some advice, as the setup is a bit different from what I'm
used to.

What I think I have to do is this:

- trunk vlan 768 through gi0/1 back to my PE router
- configure an int vlan768 to contain the /30 ptp IP
- configure a second vlan (eg: 5) and apply one of the client's IP
addresses on it (which will act as their default gw)
- configure the fa interfaces as access ports for vlan 5
- enable ip-routing
- set up BGP as usual, using int vlan768 as the update-source

Does this sound right? Can anyone offer any other advice regarding this
setup, particularly any config techniques that I should know about for
this type of deployment?

Steve