[c-nsp] ME3400E shaping (was: ME3400 switches - internals?)

Brad Henshaw brad.henshaw at qcn.com.au
Tue Mar 30 01:51:26 EDT 2010

McDonald Richards wrote:

> In defense of the ME3400 (and believe me I've had enough issues with
> them to not like them as much as this email may suggest) - it's a
metro
> ethernet switch...
> It's TX buffers on the other hand..........

Can anyone comment on the granularity of egress shaping on the ME3400E?
(note the E)

The ME3750 has full HQoS support on the ES ports but the ME3400 pretends
to provide policy-based QoS through indirect manipulation of the SRR
queues
via a service-policy (or so it would seem to this cynic). The
granularity
of shaping and other limitations are crap.

How does the ME3400E fare in this regard? Can egress shapers with
arbitrary bitrates be applied? Are the TX buffers sufficiently deep?

The Software Configuration Guide doesn't seem to mention nearly as many
Limitations as are present in the ME3400 and the -E is only marginally
more
expensive.

Regards,
Brad