[c-nsp] ME6524 similarity? [was Re: ME3400 switches - internals?]

Per Carlson perc69 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 04:36:48 EDT 2010

Hi.

>> The ME3750 and ME3400(-nonE) are two (in my opinion) failed attempts.
>> The ME3750 lacks any decent customer ports (all RJ45), and the ME3400
>> doesn't have the hardware.
>
> How do these compare with the ME6524 series?

The ME6524 is a completely different box. Don't get fooled by the
ME-prefix in the name :-)

> I've been looking at the ME6524s as possible candidates for our small
> service provider core - they seem to be essentially a 6500 in a 1RU form
> factor, and look to bring all the cool useful features of the 6500s into a
> nice and reasonably priced unit.

That's exactly what they are: a fixed config 6500. Note that's a Sup32
that powers the box and that the customer ports are oversubscribed 3:1
(it's all in the datasheet). The Sup32 makes it never cope with full
internet routes (max 256k prefixes) if that's what you have in plans.

> Are the ME6524s of the same architecture or even closely related to the
> ME3400s?

No.

> If they are then going by this thread I'll be thinking twice... or
> is the naming similarity merely the only thing they have in common?

The ME-prefix does just indicate in what network Cisco proposes to use
the device.

--
Pelle