[c-nsp] ME6524 similarity? [was Re: ME3400 switches - internals?]

Reuben Farrelly reuben-cisco-nsp at reub.net
Tue Mar 30 04:10:25 EDT 2010

Hi,

On 30/03/2010 6:49 PM, Per Carlson wrote:
> The ME-series do have much more SP oriented features opposed what
> "Desktop Switching Business Unit" ships (e.g. Cat 3xxx).
>
> The ME3750 and ME3400(-nonE) are two (in my opinion) failed attempts.
> The ME3750 lacks any decent customer ports (all RJ45), and the ME3400
> doesn't have the hardware.

How do these compare with the ME6524 series?

I've been looking at the ME6524s as possible candidates for our small
service provider core - they seem to be essentially a 6500 in a 1RU form
factor, and look to bring all the cool useful features of the 6500s into
a nice and reasonably priced unit.

Are the ME6524s of the same architecture or even closely related to the
ME3400s?  If they are then going by this thread I'll be thinking
twice... or is the naming similarity merely the only thing they have in
common?

Reuben