[c-nsp] ME3400 switches - internals?

Per Carlson perc69 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 03:49:01 EDT 2010

Hi.

> Does anyone have or use the ME3400s? What architecture are they based
> on?

It's more or less a Catalyst 3750 which have gotten a more Metro
Ethernet/Service Provider oriented IOS-version.

> Clearly they aren't a re-hashed 3750, and they seem to be a step
> above the 3750s in terms of features and capabilities.

There are some software featured which differs it from the 3750 (like
REP), but no hardware features (but how to use the hardware have
changed: read MQC).

> Is it just me or are there lots of nifty cool features in the ME
> series?)

The ME-series do have much more SP oriented features opposed what
"Desktop Switching Business Unit" ships (e.g. Cat 3xxx).

The ME3750 and ME3400(-nonE) are two (in my opinion) failed attempts.
The ME3750 lacks any decent customer ports (all RJ45), and the ME3400
doesn't have the hardware.

The ME3400E is much more promising, but misses the target as well.
First of all it doesn't have 10GE uplinks (which makes it short
lived), and secondly Cisco removed the Metro Base licence which mean
you *have to* upgrade the box to "Metro Access", which cost you a
bunch of dollars. No, that licence is NOT included in the hardware
cost...

--
Pelle