[c-nsp] Huawei instead of Cisco

jgitau at gmail.com jgitau at gmail.com
Wed May 12 11:27:39 EDT 2010

Your biggest issue will be support and associated costs. they tend to
position themselves as a cheaper option in the begining but in the
long run you end up paying more for deployment, support, spares &
training (not easy to find guys with extensive Huawei background off
the shelf as you would with cisco + Juniper).

I run a mixed network Huawei NE40, NE-40E, NE80's and some GGSN's
based on the same platforms. Im happy with them but having worked with
cisco/juniper and Huawei and a few other vendors switching/routing
gear, I'd say go with cisco unless you have a budget for the enhanced
models (NE-40E and NE-80E - I have never had issues with this apart
from specialized applications that cisco won't have on a router
anyway) and or your environment is lighweight ....

I however have to agree that they are slowly catching up and In a few
years I suspect I'll have changed my opinion.....

JG