[c-nsp] BGP update group leader

Eduard Gheorghiu edigheorghiu at gmail.com
Fri May 14 06:55:38 EDT 2010

Hi everyone!

I'm trying to optimize the route reflectors for faster convergence; the
network has a wide range of PE types from 2800 to GSRs. I have two
questions about BGP dynamic update-group that I haven't got documented:
1. How it's the group leader elected? From experience it seems that
highest IP address / router-id wins and it can preempt an already
established leader.
2. The update queue size displayed in show ip bgp replication / show ip
bgp vpnv4 all replication is referring to the whole group or just to the
leader. In other words, does a slow peer elected as group leader
influences the convergence of whole group?

I'll appreciate any clue from field experience and documentation.

Regards,

Edi