[c-nsp] What is the secret of getting actual support?

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Tue May 18 10:35:08 EDT 2010

We've found that HTOM really is just code-speak for "will talk to duty manager for you so you don't have to ask to speak to them yourself".

If you're not getting anywhere, phone in and tell them it's been open too long and you want it to stay a P1 until they have resolution for the issue.

I've been an advocate for having something that has been a P3 for "weeks" escalate to a P2.

Also, make sure you are not talking to the BBTAC if there's something that is actually a software defect.  They have limited access to information/tools and no labs to reproduce issues.

You should also phone your AM or SE and also talk to your SSM (service & support manager) if they are not meeting your needs.

Threaten to give poor scores in the annual walker survey (which drives their bonus) if TAC is incapable of taking care of your issues.

Fill out the bingo, give all 1's if you think it was a very poor experience and *DETAIL* in the bingo/post-survey exactly WHY and WHO failed in the process.  Any issue that lingers for more than a week you really *NEED* to talk to the duty manager(DM).  Phone in, give your case number and say "I need to talk to the DM, my case is not progressing".

- Jared