[c-nsp] To XR or not to XR

Frederic LOUI frederic.loui at renater.fr
Wed May 19 11:00:10 EDT 2010

Hi Mark,

Besides what has been said so far... One thing that is most of the time
overlooked...
Make sure that your staff (Ops / engineers etc.) are *VERY*
familiar/comfortable with not only IOS-XR configuration but also IOS-XR
hardware management ...
(Or make sure you have CISCO support... If you can afford it ...)

Because the learning curve for discovering the platform is significant.
For instance, the IOX software upgrade principle can avoid rebooting the
box itself, but don't think this will be always the case ...
Indeed some packages need the BOX to be rebooted , others don't ... And
for some reasons if you apply a series of packages that do not require a
reboot => The box reboot !
Also, if you have CRS-1, IOX between these 2 platforms seem not to be
aligned in terms of feature set.

In addition, make sure that your network management system  can manage
these boxes...
We took the latter "as granted" and for some reason we had troubles with
the network management process performance in IOX ...

In the positive side:
1) IOX on 12K is quite stable (we're running 10s of these boxes since 2
years as P/PE with full-routing table IPv4/IPv6 unicast/multicast and
other MPLS services so far without any single issue).
2) RPL is a very powerful and flexible mechanism that allows you to
elaborate complex routing policy.
3) You'll benefit some nice security features such as Management Plane
Protection, LPTS (granted that in IOS you can have receive ALC / CoPP)
4) New features, BGP-PIC, 6VPE for instance will only see the light in
IOX for these platform.

Good luck if you go for it :-)
Frederic