[c-nsp] Ethernet Interfaces Speed and Duplex - Force or Auto

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Fri May 21 12:57:54 EDT 2010

Hi,

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 02:18:34PM -0500, Jeff Wojciechowski wrote:
> Curious what other network admins are doing out there for Ethernet
> interfaces as far as speed and duplex settings - weather to specify
> or to leave them auto negotiate.

Since this is 2010, we default to "auto".  The amount of gear that makes
problems in funny ways has been much lower with "auto" than with fixed
setting for the last decade or so...

Of course there are exceptions, most notably the 7200 FE ports that just
don't *do* autoneg.  So for those, of course, the other end needs to be
configured to manual/100/full.  Some carriers also insist in running their
equipment in fixed-config mode (and inevitably get it wrong for the first
few configuration tries).

Unfortunately, there's still lot of admin folks around that have learned
in the last century that "autoneg just doesn't work", so they go around and
configure everything for 100/full - and then someone swaps some other gear,
defaults to auto, boom, duplex mismatch, packet loss, nastiness.

(For GigE on fiber, autoneg is good because it provides unidirectional
link detection right away, which is something you *want* - but that's
a different can of worms)

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de