[c-nsp] Ethernet Interfaces Speed and Duplex - Force or Auto

Chris Burwell cburwell at gmail.com
Fri May 21 11:41:30 EDT 2010

We leave things set to auto as well. We dabbled with hard-coding the
speed and duplex after a network overhaul on one of our buildings. The
down side was that we still have some "legacy" equipment which
required 10/Half while the rest of our equipment was 100 or 1000/Full.

In the end we determined that it would just be too much work to track
down these legacy device and change the port settings for each one.
With six buildings and one network admin (me) we did not see the
benefits to hard-coding port speeds.

It's good to know that I can take one device and plug it into any
other port on the network without having to dive into the switch and
make changes to the speed and duplex settings.

- Chris