[c-nsp] sup2t -- where the deets' at?

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Sat May 29 16:59:45 EDT 2010

On 28 May, Mark Tinka wrote:

> Oh, but don't forget - if you want a current switching
> platform that can handle the density and bandwidth, you'll
> be pointed to the Nexus 7000.
>
> And before you start yelling that the 6500 does more IP and
> MPLS than most folk will do on a Nexus 7000 series today,
> you'll be pointed to yet another platform, the ASR9000.
>
> Don't you just love it :-).

Having just recently muscled a Nexus 7k into a rack (not fun, btw) I've
been noticing an increasing trend of manufacturers not taking typical rack
dimensions (particularly depth) into account when designing new products.
The 7k is about 38" deep, not including clearance at the back for power
cables.  Many of the Nexus 5k units are also ridiculously deep.  I have
many places on my network where my cabinets aren't deep enough to take a
7k without leaving the doors off or putting in deeper cabinets....
*grumble*

In that regard, Cisco seems to be suffering from what I will refer to as
"the Dell disease" :)

jms