[c-nsp] 7200 G1/G2 QoS/NBAR performance

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Mon May 31 11:08:30 EDT 2010

On Monday 31 May 2010 10:23:46 pm Nick Celebic wrote:

> I was googling around on Friday, looking for some
>  performance numbers. The question is how much traffic
>  can a NPE-G1/G2 pass while doing QoS. I'm doing the
>  standard internet transit mix of packet sizes.
>
> I tried tagging 600Mb worth of traffic on a G1, and that
>  brought the routers to it's knees with 100% CPU.  Given
>  that all QoS in a 7200 is done in software, are there
>  any ballpark numbers used to calculate how much
>  throughput you can get using QoS on these NPEs?

Not sure how funky your QoS configurations are, but we're
seeing around 65% on an NPE-G2 running at 500Mbps with MQC
doing inbound/outbound policing, DSCP and EXP remarking and
classification.

600Mbps of traffic on an NPE-G1 is already as much as the
box can probably do. Adding MQC to forwarded traffic could
have some adverse effects, like what you're seeing.

We don't do NBAR, so I can't offer any feedback there.

Cheers,

Mark.